Thursday 22 March 2012

Graphic Passions: Moebius & Jodorowsky's "The Incal"


So I do indeed grab me some Moebius comix as I did say I would in my Moebius post. I get hold of Jodorowsky & Moebius' sci-fi work "The Incal" (click here for the Guardian review.)

Now this is for Space Opera fans, you understand... galaxies and planets and monsters and multi-armed aliens and sooper-dooper trans-thingy beams and telepathy.... It's a space opera that is also filled with crazy 1980s New Age tosh... (You had to have been there.) In other words it's a real out of this world experience. There was a legal dispute between Jodorowsky and Luc Besson over similarities between "The Incal" and the film "The Fifth Element" which Jodorowsky lost. But you will see the territory we are in.

Graphic Novel publishers Self Made Hero have published a "restored and uncensored".. (that nudity thing)... edition which is a lovely thing to behold... and to read....

So here I am, drifting in space with the Moebius illustrations and travelling on beams of light ... and seriously contemplating acquiring a companion animal that I can call "Deepo" by way of tribute to P.I. John DiFool's own "concrete" bird......


No comments: