Tuesday 18 May 2010

Graphic Passions 3: Real-Life-Drama

I've posted about my Graphic Passions before. And the comics and graphic novels that I remembered, I suppose, boil down to Fantasies and Funnies.

But I was triggered into posting about comics by buying "Logicomix", which is essentially a fact-based comic. More of a Graphic Treatise than a Graphic Novel. This puts me in mind of other graphic non-fiction. And the two books that jump out at me are both Graphic Memoirs.

The first is Pulitzer Prize winner: "Maus" by Art Spiegelman. This was a major project, first published in two parts. It tells the story of Spiegelman's parents; their lives in pre-war Poland; and their subsequent experiences as Holocaust survivors. It also describes the complicated relationship between Spiegelman and his father.
The book is drawn in simple small frames of black and white line drawings - with the Jews depicted as mice, and the Nazis as cats. It had great impact on the comics world.

The second Graphic Memoir is Marjane Satrapi's "Persepolis": the story of her own childhood in Iran during the Islamic Revolution and during the Iran/Iraq war; her teeenage years alone in Europe; and her return to Iran as a young woman. She writes and draws this with a tough humour and honesty. Again, it's drawn in deceptively simple black and white panels.

Then Satrapi makes my day - by turning the book into a feature length animated film.

How can I not love that.

No comments: