Wednesday 5 January 2011

Travels with my Film-Life: Japan

So The Old Man insists we visit Japan - by watching the 2008 film "Still Walking" by Hirokazu Kore-eda.

In a steeply hilled coastal town we wait as family members gather for the memorial day of the eldest son. We listen to them bickering and preparing food. We watch them visit the cemetery; watch the children playing and climbing to pick the flowers of a crape myrtle, for the director - a symbol of the family; and we watch the family politics play out.

It's a slow and gentle film and it takes me a while to slow down my pace to match it. But once I do, I find it absorbing. The film's director is known for his previous work in social issue and documentary films. When I discover this, I can understand better the slow, objective narrative of this film.

You can see a trailer for "Still Walking" by clicking here.

No comments: