Saturday, 24 November 2012

Madam Deficit Quotes Freud

No my darlings.... Not Sigmund.... but another of that great and ubiquitous dynasty. I am referring to Lord Freud, Welfare System Reform advisor of choice to New Labour under Blair.... and Minster of same to the Coalition Government under Osborne ... oops! I mean Cameron.

Anyway... I think he just about sums up the prevailing attitude with his statement that...... "...People who are poorer should be prepared to take the biggest risks; they've got the least to lose...."

Then of course there is that other bon mot that has caused a sharp intake of breath in certain quarters.... when discussing the possibility that he may not have any first hand knowledge of what it is like to live on benefits....he says "I think you don't have to the corpse to go to the funeral...."

Well done, there! or was that a Freudian Slip? Grandaddy would be pleased.

2 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

Oh dear. I wonder if he ever thinks before opening his mouth? By the way, I see you chill out with foreign crime novels. How about some good old UK books? See the photo on my blog this week - UK crime writers are fighting back!

Little Grey Doll said...

Hi, Leigh. Good to hear from you again. Crime fiction is a must read for me. But I have to say that I have always got my kicks from crime in foreign places (some of which is written by UK writers)... it's the only travelling I do! I know that lots of crime fans like their crime thrills set in the UK including readers in other countries e.g. Scandinavia, Germany, US ... Mrs D does some reviewing (under a nom-de-plume) for the Euro Crime website which includes UK-set writing. Fighting back by UK crime writers is an absolute good thing. Good luck and apologies for my taste for the exotic!