Monday 9 August 2010

Animated Discussions: Coming to a Cinema Near You

The Old Man drew my attention to an article in the Independent on Sunday about animated films, or more specifically - animation for adults.

Because - contrary to popular belief - I am an adult.

And as you know - I do like animation.

In the article, James Mottram considers animated films for the likes of me. And it goes without saying that ... being an anorak of sorts... I have DVDs of his listings: Persepolis, Waltz with Bashir, Waking Life, Ghost in the Shell, Renaissance, Akira, and Belleville Rendezvous. Some of which I have yammered on about in previous postings. (Check out the Greydoll Topic" "Animation" to read them.)

So I'm delighted that the maker of Belleville Rendezvous, Sylvain Chomet, has another film coming out later this month - "The Illusionist". Chomet is quoted in the article as talking about the assumption by Hollywood producers that the medium is for children - and so fairy tales are the films to make. But, Chomet says, 'I want to do animated films for adults.'

Yeay, say I.

And don't get me wrong, adults can indeed watch Toy Story and Shrek with enjoyment. Long live the inner child (and I'm quite fond of a Shrek film, it has to be said.)

Chomet's "The Illusionist" is based on an unproduced Jacques Tati script. The artwork is hand-drawn (as was Miyasaki's recent "Ponyo" - though Ponyo would probably be argued as being aimed at children). And some of the reviews I have seen are mixed. But I'm just glad there's something to look out for.

To read a more detailed discussion - and to get a glimpse of what could be coming out in the future - check out (aka click on) James Mottram's article in the Independent on Sunday.

No comments: